Sunday, January 18, 2009

MMMMM...Doughnuts!

So I found a new addiction to add to my already long, but fairly harmless list...

Chinese Doughnuts!

The first memory I have of them (and I am pretty sure they were not called "Chinese doughnuts") is at the fair in Minnesota. They had a shop just past the entrance/exit area where they would fry these tiny doughnuts, dust them with sugar and serve them to you nice and warm!

Then the other day, I picked up lunch for James at an Asian restaurant near by and I ordered "Chinese Doughnuts" because they sounded good! I could smell them all the way to his work and they had that same delicious sugary smell of the doughnuts from the fair. So when I got to James' work, I gave him his food and opened up the doughnut container and ate one. Mmmmm, so good, just like the fair, but more of an oval shape with no hole in the middle. I have been craving them since that day.

One of my friend's told me that they sell the yummy, tiny doughnuts at the Event Center during the hockey games, and this just increased my desire for them.

So, as usual when I am curious about something, I turned to the Internet. I looked up "Chinese Doughnut recipe" and found several posts.

These doughnuts are one of the easiest things to make:
Go buy some refrigerated biscuit dough (you know the stuff in the tube)
Heat up your deep fryer (or oil in a pan) to about 330 degrees
Open the biscuit dough and cut each biscuit into quarters (that's 4 pieces)
or 8 pieces if you bought the Large biscuits
Carefully drop the biscuit pieces one at a time into the hot oil
I can usually put about 10 pieces in our deep fryer at a time
Let them cook for about a minute, or until light golden brown
Turn over the little biscuit balls so the other side gets cooked, again about a minute
Then pull them out and place on some paper towel to soak up some of the oil
I usually put a second batch into the fryer
Transfer the cooked doughnuts to a big mixing bowel
Sprinkle with about a Tablespoon of granulated sugar
Roll/shake them around so they are evenly coated
Keep repeating until all the little dough-balls are cooked and sugar-coated
Be sure to taste in between each batch :)

These taste Best when fresh and still warm. They are good regardless, but warm is best and they usually don't last long enough to get cold.

If you try them, let me know what you think; or stop by our house and I will make some for you :)

2 comments:

susie said...

OK, Friday night...see ya!

Solitare said...

Sounds good to me :)